Grandpa with Alexia
Grandpa and Grandma with us at our wedding
Who is going to ask Alexia if her dresses are his shirts, or try to steal her shoes and socks from her? Who is going to sing her the classic old songs? Who is going to whistle to her everytime he sees her and let her style his hair? How do we pass these things on to our children, who don't even know they are missing out?
Who is going to ask Alexia if her dresses are his shirts, or try to steal her shoes and socks from her? Who is going to sing her the classic old songs? Who is going to whistle to her everytime he sees her and let her style his hair? How do we pass these things on to our children, who don't even know they are missing out?
One of my fondest memories of Grandpa Bill is him singing "Someone's in the Kitchen with Dina" and "I've been working on the Railroad". We spent a lot of time with Grandma and Grandpa through the years.
When we lived in Manhattan Grandpa and Grandma moved there as well and we spent lots of time at their house with our mom and dad. I remember gardening with Grandpa and singing silly songs. He would constantly ask if my dresses were his shirts and he would try to wear my shoes and socks. I like to think that I got my ornry nature and my sense of humor from my grandpa Bill. I always thought he was the funniest man in the world.
Once we moved to Cincinnati and Grandma and Grandpa moved back to Council Bluffs I remember our visits to their home. At their house, next door to the pomeranian puppies, I would sit with Grandpa in their beautiful backyard and eat the cherry tomatoes that Grandpa planted and tended himself. It was also at that house that Grandpa got me to try pickled pigs feet, they were really good!
When we moved back from Cincinnati we stayed with Grandma and Grandpa in their huge new house! It was like two houses one on top of the other! The upstairs had it's own kitchen, bathroom, living room, dining room and three bedrooms and the downstairs had it's own kitchen, a HUGE dining room, living room, bathroom and two bedrooms. There was also a laundry room down there. I loved staying there with Grandma and Grandpa and helping Grandpa with the gardening and yardwork. I missed living with them when we moved to Lincoln, but we still visited quite often!
Grandpa was still as silly as ever and always brought a smile to my face. I loved to cuddle up with Grandpa and ask him questions about the War and what life was like when he was younger. He told great stories about when my dad and his siblings were kids.
Due to Alzheimers the last few years have been different since it was really hard for Grandpa to remember things. No more tomatoes, no more pickled pigs feet. Grandpa rarely remembered who I was, but I did love that he always remembered my husband Travis and our son Blake. I know it was frustrating for Grandpa to not be able to remember things, but he still teased his grandkids and asked Blake if he could have his shoes.
The last few months Grandpa was very sleepy, and unsure of where he was. He was not very mobile and kept asking to go home even when he was sitting in his own living room. Well, Grandpa finally got his wish. He went home on Saturday evening and will suffer no more. We love Grandpa and are so happy for him that he gets to spend time rejoicing with Jesus now and praising God all of his days! We miss him, but we know that where he is we will also be in the future and we will see him again.
We love you Grandpa (and Great papa).
No comments:
Post a Comment
We appreciate any comments! Thank you for reading!